H1B1 visa tax responsibility when living 6 months abroad.


Please briefly explain why you feel this question should be reported .


I got my H1B1 visa in January 2017. Moved to US in June 2017. The same US employer based in NYC.

Am I required to pay both federal and state taxes on all of my income for the whole of 2017?

solved 0
orden 3 months 1 Answer 167 views 0

Answer ( 1 )

  1. Please briefly explain why you feel this answer should be reported .


    In general, if you are a non-resident alien working under an H1B1 visa you are subject to the non-resident income tax system. You are required to pay tax only on income earned inside the United States.

    However, if you become a resident then you would also have to pay tax on any income earned outside the U.S.

    So it all depends on your status as a resident or non-resident. A tax advisor could help you determine this status and take a closer look at your specific situation.


    Best answer

Leave an answer


Captcha Click on image to update the captcha .